Friday, May 2, 2008

The Problem is Choice

Mark Twain once said that "twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do." I've always been a huge fan of Mr. Twain, not only do we share the same birthday but I feel we share the same sense of humor and ideals. that being said, the previous quote is always a constant in my mind. Most people regard having choices as a good thing, though a severely limited or artificially restricted choice can lead to discomfort with choosing and possibly, an unsatisfactory outcome. In contrast, unlimited choice may lead to confusion, regret of the alternatives not taken, and indifference in an unstructured existence; and the illusion that choosing an object or a course leads necessarily to control of that object or course can cause psychological problems. I don't want to have regrets when my final day has come to an end. As I am typing this I am struggling with a decision that will have enormous consequences. At this stage in my life I am more concerned about whats best for me than what maybe the right thing to do. Considering all the factors, its hard to lean to any one side. Ahhh the paradox of choice. The one thing that God gave us that we may never fully understand. As Neo so eloquently put it, the problem is choice. It is true that we can never see past the choices we make in life, regardless of how much mental processing and critical thinking we do. Damn! I wish I had an Oracle to help me. Come what may, I am determine to make the best of whatever happens.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger